Monday, April 16, 2012

MD 650 (New Hampshire Avenue) Bridge Deck Replacement over I-495 (Capital Beltway) - Community Information

The Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) is beginning a bridge deck replacement project at the I-495 (Capital Beltway)/MD 650 interchange in Montgomery County. Work will take place on the northbound MD 650 ramp to westbound I-495. The project will begin in April and is expected to be complete in late 2012, weather permitting.

Built in 1964, the bridge deck driving surface is safe but in need of repairs. The project involves replacing the existing driving surface, cleaning and painting the existing steel beams, and replacing the bridge supports. Crews will also pave and resurface both bridge roadway connections.

The MD 650 ramp over I-495 carries one lane of traffic and it too narrow to allow for staged construction.
SHA will close the ramp from northbound MD 650 to westbound I-495 in mid to late April and detour traffic through mid-summer. Motorists will use a signed detour directing them onto eastbound I-495, through the College Park Park and Ride Lot at I-95, and then back onto westbound I-495. Motorists should add at least 15 minutes to their normal commute times for the detour.

Some repairs requiring temporary lane closures/lane shifts on I-495 will occur during off-peak hours as follows:

- Westbound I-495: Single, double, and triple lane closures possible overnights Sunday through Thursday, 10 pm – 5 am

- Eastbound I-495: Single and double lane closures possible overnights Sunday through Thursday, 10 pm – 5 am.

SHA appreciates drivers’ patience during the ramp and lane closures.

For additional information regarding this project, visit SHA’s website at www.roads.maryland.gov and click on Projects and Studies/SHA Projects Page/Montgomery County/TC11 Bridge 1513900 over I-495.

No comments:

Post a Comment